2022/23 Annual Report
December 14, 2023
A joint message from our Chairman, Mr David Whitbread and CEO, Mr Stephen Walker:
We are both extremely proud of what this hospital has achieved during yet another demanding year. The complexity of delivering high quality health services with finite resources has always been a challenging task, however despite this we remain the largest independent private hospital in Australia, entrusted with the care of one in every seven South Australian patients treated in a private hospital.
Despite the considerable challenges, St. Andrew’s can take pride in the resolute manner in which it has addressed these issues while maintaining an unwavering commitment to patient safety and quality. Our commitment is supported by our highly regarded training and development initiatives, university partnerships and scholarship programs. These important areas are a focus within the report.
The exceptional collaboration of our dedicated teams from all departments within the hospital is truly commendable. As highlighted in this report, they have collectively achieved so much in the past twelve months.
We are also very grateful to our VMOs who often spend their entire career with us. On that note, we had five of our highly respected VMOs retire after a long and distinguished career at St Andrew’s:
- Dr Peter Sutherland OAM, Urologist (robotic) retired in December 2022 after more than 35 years operating at St Andrew’s.
- Mr Michael Berce, Vascular Surgeon retired after more than 31 years at St Andrew’s working in both our theatres and angiography suites.
- Dr Mark Williams, Anaesthetist with Stace Anaesthetics worked at St Andrew’s with Dr David Hall, Spinal Surgeon for approximately 25 years.
- Dr Kim Moretti, Urologist has had a theatre list here at St Andrew’s for over 30 years.
- Mr Andrew Hunter, Colorectal Surgeon has worked at St Andrew’s for 30 years, having both theatre and procedural lists. He was also a member of our Medical Advisory Committee.
All of us at St Andrew’s thank Peter, Michael, David, Andrew and Mark for their wonderful contribution and wish them a long, happy and healthy retirement.
We would like to thank and acknowledge the entire St Andrew’s team, including our dedicated nursing staff, support service areas, visiting medical officers, volunteers, our Board and our Foundation, all of whom have contributed to another successful and positive year at St Andrew’s.