Mains operated or battery powered appliances of a personal nature - such as shavers, hair dryers, radios, laptop computers - can be potentially hazardous in a hospital environment.
However some may be permitted, subject to the following restrictions:
- The Clinical Manager agrees to the use of such equipment
- Equipment is not used whilst the patient is undergoing treatment
- Equipment will be kept at least two metres from any patient undergoing a medical procedure
- Equipment is free of visually apparent damage, e.g. frayed or damaged cords or plugs
- Where reasonable doubt exists as to the safety or suitability of an appliance, the Clinical Manager will refuse entry or remove the equipment
- All privately owned electrical equipment shall receive electrical energy through a Residual Current Device at the power supply source