St Andrew's Private Hospital, Adelaide, was opened in 1936 - an initiative of Ms Janet Hay, the owner and Director of Nursing. In 1947 the privately owned hospital - and the land on which the present hospital stands - were bought by the Presbyterian Church of South Australia and renamed St Andrew's Presbyterian Hospital.
With the inauguration of the Uniting Church in 1977, the hospital's constitution was changed and the affairs of St Andrew's was vested in the Board of Governors instead of the church authority. Subsequently the hospital's name was changed by deletion of the word "Presbyterian".
St Andrew’s Hospital has provided medical and surgical excellence to South Australians for 80 years and is now one of Australia’s largest stand alone independent private hospitals and is recognised nationally as a centre of excellence.